Keep Yourself in Mind (My New Job!)


Print made by me for Miranda [Hand]writes Etsy shop.
I accepted an offer for a new job yesterday.

That's exciting, right? After a few months of searching for a change, I have finally received an offer. I'm really happy about it, and a huge weight has been lifted off of my chest. I do have to admit though...I'm a little nervous about making the change. Change is a weird thing. A person can spend copious amounts of time searching for it, but when an opportunity actually arises it's still difficult to let go of the thing that you have been comfortable with for so long.

I have been anticipating the offer for a week or so now, and a small portion of that time has been filled with wishy-washy thoughts. My current job is in state government. I have been with the state for just over three years now; a year and a half of that time I was a secretary, and for the past year and a half I have been a research assistant. In a nutshell, I work in health care administration, performing audits and recouping money that was wrongly distributed. Want to know a secret? I absolutely hate the work. Working in auditing is literally the last thing I would have ever imagined myself doing. But, when you are offered a steady job, especially a job within state government...you take it. And you stick it out, because that's just how life works sometimes.

Here's the reason that I have been wishy-washy...I'm leaving a coveted state job to go work as a customer service representative at a local company. A very well-established local company, but a local company nonetheless. I'm super excited about growing with an establishment that functions on a smaller scale, but several people have made comments about how they feel it's unwise for me to give up a state job, with its sought after benefits and job security. In my heart though, I know, and I have always known, that staying with the state for the long run is not something that I desire. I have met some truly brilliant people while working in state government, and I absolutely love my co-workers, but the type of work is not something that settles well with my personality. I stuck it out, and I worked my butt off to learn and grow there, and that has only solidified the fact that it's just not for me. I don't feel like that is something that I should have to feel guilty about, especially when this local job will provide me with the same amount of pay and benefits that I am currently receiving.

Therefore, I'm "downgrading," and I'm more than okay with it. Customer service is so much more my element, and I feel that this job will help me be a happier, healthier person. I used to worry so much about "job image," and the reactions that people give when you tell them what you do for a living. In the past, I have cared way too much about what jobs people deem "successful," or "mediocre." But here is the truth about all of that...it doesn't even stinkin' matter. When it comes to making a living, do what you are comfortable with. Do what you are good at. Do something that doesn't cause you massive amounts of anxiety. Who cares if you choose to be a secretary, or a customer service rep, or work in retail over being a doctor, or lawyer, or even a government employee? I'm not trying to say that careers aren't important, because they definitely are. But if you are miserable in your overall life because of your job...is it really worth it? Everyone has different strengths, so follow your heart and do what you feel is best. Keep yourself in mind.

So...hi. My name is Miranda. Since graduating college, I haven't worked in my field of study a single day. I'm leaving a great job to take a chance on something else. I have to budget like crazy to pay my bills, and my writing career is still at a standstill. But...I'm healthy. I have hobbies, and interests, and amazing people in my life. Despite anxiety, I'm living...and I feel like I'm living well. My life is great, not mediocre. There is not such thing as a mediocre life.

Here's to my new job. If you're in a similar situation, I encourage you to stop worrying, and trust yourself for once.

11 comments

Renee said...

You are a beautiful writer, Miranda, and this post just solidifies it even more.
Great topic too, one that so many of us I'm sure can relate to. I'm still guilty myself of not feeling proud of my job title (billing clerk), when in all reality I never mind coming to work each and every single day and it's actually a pretty great job that I should be thankful for. I'm with you though, the "job image" doesn't stinkin' matter!!

Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

I came to your blog first after your snapchat! Good for you!!! I did the same thing and have never once regretted it. I love working for small companies so much better than large companies or government.

You'll make it work and the happiness will be well worth the sacrifice you'll make in your budget. Happiness is priceless after all.

Sara Blinder said...

I have a teaching degree and I don't teach, I work in customer service too. At first I worried a lot about what other people would think when I told them where I work, especially since I have my degree, but I don't regret my decision. I like what I do and I'm good at what I do. And that's what's important.

Nadine Lynn said...

Congrats and good luck on your new opportunity!!!

After working in lots of different positions over the past few years, I find that it is really REALLY important to work towards doing something that makes you happy and you want to do and not just doing something because it is stable and pays the bills. You only have one life to live....you need to enjoy it and not hate waking up every morning and dreading going in to some hum drum job with the what ifs and the shouldacouldawouldas!

Meg said...

I worked in a state job for a few years. Not fun. I loved the IDEA of the job, but just couldn't actually DO my job because of all the politics. Bleck. Congrats on a new beginning!!

Elizabeth at Southern Finesse said...

Congratulations on the new job! So happy for you.

AMEN on your assessment too. You have to find what you're good at and enjoy doing before you'll ever really have a career, all the rest is just misery. That's my two cents. haha

Amanda - Voyage of the MeeMee said...

That's so exciting! Congrats, girl!

A Life Less Traveled said...

Congrats! Good for you in recognizing that you craved a change in your career.

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

I am so happy for you and so proud of you!

Sam @ From East To West Coast said...

Miranda I hope you've been well! I've been so MIA but I'm glad to see that you accepted the job and took that leap of faith! Trust me, it's scary now but it'll pay off later! It's like that saying "If it doesn't scare you, it's not worth doing"

Kiki said...

Congrats on the new job! I so get what you mean about worrying what others think of your job status. I've realized just how much I've let that affect myself in the past and how much I don't want it to affect me in the future. When it comes to jobs, it's all about your passion and God's plans for you. That said, I'm so excited for you! :)