Take a Risk?


I have a confession to make: I've never been much of a risk taker.

Or to put it more plainly, I've always been afraid to try new things...even things that aren't necessarily considered "risky."

Certain personality traits come with being an introvert, and not all of those traits are positive ones. Case in point; the risk-taking issue. I have always preferred to keep within my bubble, grasping onto friends who I already have established relationships with and doing my best to contain thoughts and opinions in order to avoid drawing attention to myself. I have certainly never been one to try "new things" or go out of my way to do something out of character. Meet new people? No thanks. Take a career risk? Nope. Be the first to approach someone? Um...yeah right. Those types of things have always caused me massive anxiety, because I am unbelievably afraid of rejection.

I think I have finally reached the point though, where I am sick of being that kind of person. Lately, I have been finding myself doing a lot of things that I would have been petrified to do in the past. I'm taking chances. I'm talking to and meeting new people. I'm coming out of my shell in groups. I haven't been afraid to share thoughts, or tell a joke that I think is funny. I'm making a career change. I'm all around learning how to loosen up, and take chances. That fear of rejection or exclusion that has always held me back is quickly being kicked to the curb...and I love the way it feels.

Life is short. And I'm finally realizing that anxiety and refusal to take risks is holding me back from a lot of great experiences. Being afraid of everyday experiences is just pointless. It's important to know your boundaries, and stick to your beliefs...but trying something new, AKA taking a risk, could provide you with something that you never even knew you were missing.

Are you a risk taker, or do you prefer to stick to what you know? Have you ever desired the ability to try new things without fear of failure?

7 comments

~*Night Owl*~ said...

I'm not sure what I am. Although I like a change. Change is good for the soul.

Sara Blinder said...

I'm not a risk taker either. I tend to always stick to what I know. I have a hard time dealing with change as well. They're things I'm trying to work on though. :-)

The Rachael Way said...

I love this. Change is really, truly scary. But it can push us to do great things! AKA why I'm teaching in China this year lol

~*Night Owl*~ said...

Just letting you know I'm grabbing your button. and speaking of change I've done some major changes to myb blog with the help of a friend

Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

Does it make sense that I think of myself as both? When it comes to talking to people or making friends, I want to throw up. Anything I can do on my own that's life related I go for it because I like you have learned life is to short not so go for it sometimes.

So proud of you for taking risks and pushing yourself out of your comfort zone, as an introvert myself I know it's sooooo hard.

Amanda - Voyage of the MeeMee said...

I've always stuck with what I know, but, the older I get the more I realize that that's not okay... not if you want to live a happy and fulfilled life! It's hard, but, it's worth it. :)

Nadine Lynn said...

I am not much of a risk taker. It is hard to step out of the comfort zone and do something that you are afraid of!!! I try to work on it the best that I can though because I fully agree with that quote!