What Makes Me, "Me?"

As I mentioned a couple of posts ago, my roommate Alyssa moved out. Before she left, she gave Amber and I "goodbye" gifts, which was such a sweet surprise. Have you ever met someone that is just a really excellent gift giver? A person who is just great at making things personal and meaningful? Alyssa is that type of gift giver. She gave me the most amazing necklace. If you know me in the least, you know that this necklace is uniquely "me." From the simple feel to the words engraved on it, it just fits me.


Each time I look at this necklace, I appreciate the fact that is represents me so well. And I don't mean that it represents me in a typical, "Hi, my name is Miranda and I'm a 24-year-old female" way. It goes much deeper than that...it is a visual expression of things that lie within my deepest interests and passions. As individuals, we all have these things. Sure, our basic facts and traits are important in our make-up, but it's the deeper things that make us special.

So what makes me, Miranda Hunt, "me?"

//I'm a thinker....which is both a blessing and a curse. My brain rarely slows down. I am always pondering or creating something in my mind.

//I'm an introvert. This comes with being a thinker. I love being around people, but I also appreciate time to be alone with myself and my hobbies.

//I have a legitimate obsession with anything "artsy." Reading, writing, dancing, music, theatre...I love every single bit of it.

//I'm almost overly compassionate. My heart easily breaks for others, and I sometimes have to fight back tears when I see homeless people wandering the streets or people fighting in public.

//It takes me a while to completely trust and become comfortable around someone. I keep a tight circle of friends, but once you become important to me, I will never stop fighting for you.

//I tend to live in a bit of a fantasy world. I daydream too much, I wish life had background music, and I'm still waiting for the letter that informs me of some magical, life changing secret. I often have to come back down to Earth and remind myself that life doesn't run on creativity alone.

//I'm very sentimental. I have a hard time giving up anything that has a memory attached. I will hoard anything from old love letters to stuffed animals, and even when I talk myself into letting them go I feel guilty about it.

//I love to laugh, and I will laugh at almost anything. If my cheeks hurt at the end of the day, my time was well spent.

//I remember everything, but forget everything else, if that makes sense. I can still tell you the exact outfit I wore on the first day of 6th grade, but I can't for the life of me remember to mail birthday cards or reply to text messages I wasn't able to get to ASAP.

//Words speak to me in a way that nothing else can. Books, poetry, quotes, song lyrics...anything profound and beautifully written makes me weak in the knees.

//I'm very easily influenced by emotion, and it isn't always a good thing. It gets me into situations I shouldn't be in, increases my already too high anxiety levels, and makes me feel like I can't cope some days. However, I still think I would rather be too emotional than not emotional enough.

What makes you, "you?'

6 comments

Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

I'm that kind of a gift giver, it's always my goal to get you want you always didn't know you wanted!

What make me Kelli? Great question! I think the main thing that makes me Kelli is my take no crap attitude. :)

Sara Blinder said...

I always try to be that kind of gift giver. I'm not always successful, but I think I am more often than not.

I'll have to think a little about what makes me "me." I may even still this idea for a post, if that's okay. :-)

Nadine Lynn said...

I just love this! What a sweet gift. I try to be that person...that gets people something meaningful. I hate giving gift cards or other generic things.

What makes me, me? Hmmm. I have the biggest heart for animals, I have little patience for ignorance and stupidity, I like to stay in my "comfort zone," and I am a dreamer.

Amanda - Voyage of the MeeMee said...

What an awesome and unique gift! I love it!!!!!
Laughing and making others laugh is the best! :)

Rach @ This Italian Family said...

I still day dream some, but not like when I was younger. I used to be such a big day dreamer. I really was convinced that I was secret royalty there for awhile. ;) Love reading these facts about you!

The Rachael Way said...

But really, where is my Hogwarts letter! haha.