9.09.2014

Are We Getting it Wrong?


This afternoon, just like every other weekday afternoon, I drove my usual route home from work. I was sitting in a right turn lane, waiting for the car in front of me to catch a break in traffic and pull a right on red so that I could do the same. I was zoned out and tired, staring straight ahead as I always do on my drive home...thinking without really thinking and functioning without really trying because my mind was so worn out from the day.

I was startled out of my trance by the blaring of a horn. Irritated, I looked in my rearview mirror to see a "kind gentleman" in a gigantic Ford F150 laying on his horn, throwing his hands up in the air, and yelling what I can pretty accurately assume were obscenities. He was obviously making an attempt to get the car in front of me to move more quickly, even if that meant them pulling out in front of oncoming traffic. It was pretty easy to gather that he was angry because his precious time was being wasted, and he just assumed that his schedule and his obligations were more important than the safety of the person in the car in front of me.

At that point, a familiar thought ran through my mind...a thought that I have pondered multiple times a day for as long as I can remember.

Were we meant to live like this?

The hustle, the bustle, the busyness of life. The anger, the impatience, the low levels of tolerance. The hatred, the close-mindedness, the quickness to write people off. The quickness to judge others on their thoughts, beliefs, and appearance.

Is this the kind of day-to-day existence that we were meant to endure?

I understand that life is going to have some conflict, because honestly, diversity makes the world go round, right? However, I can't help but feel like we, human beings, have taken the complexity to a level that it was never meant to reach. We make even the easiest of things difficult. We create strife from things that are better left alone. We prefer to walk all over those that we are supposed to be lifting up.

I can't help but wonder what it would be like if we actually treated others with the respect instead of just talking about treating others with respect. What if we based our actions off of love rather than just thinking about acting out of love? How different would things be?

Do you think we're getting it wrong?
Sara Kent said...

Yes, yes we are getting it wrong. I think about this a lot. All the unnecessary stress and hurry...for what? When I see things like that (someone flying off the handle for no apparent reason) I feel bad for them. I also try to do something nice for someone else to try and put some more good into the world. People need to calm down and be nice!

Dawn @ Life in the Sack and Wisconsin Wilds said...

Sara and you both hit it on the head. I agree. People are so quick to see the bad and overreact.

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.