9.18.2014

Recent Reads

Oh...hello. Yes, it's me...the blogger who apparently prefers to place her posts over a week apart from each other. That's the latest trend, haven't you heard? Sometimes I'm ashamed to call myself a blogger. Other times, I'm like...you know what? IT'S OKAY. I have other things going on, and I have to find the balance that is right for ME. Blogging full time just isn't fitting into my schedule these days.

Unfortunately, a little thing called a "job" takes up the majority of my time. I don't really prefer to say that I have to "make a living," because I believe that making a living is about so much more than what your day job is. But...money is a priority in life, and until the miraculous day that I am able to support myself by doing things that I actually like, a job is just what has to happen.

Plus, I may not be blogging regularly lately, but I am certainly doing my fair share of writing. Guys...I'm going to finish writing this novel by the end of the year if it kills me. You know how when you really, really want something, it's all you can think about? I am to the point with this book, that it consumes my mind about 85% of the time. All I can think about is how I'm going to have one thing lead to another, or how I'm going to phrase a sentence to get across exactly what I want to portray. This obsessive thinking is leading to results and words on paper though...so I'm not going to complain!

And speaking of books, now that I have rambled my way through an extremely long intro, I can finally jump in to sharing what this post is actually intended for. It's been a while since I've posted about what I've been reading, and that is changing today. Here are a few of the books that have kept me company lately.


1. The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult
Let me just begin by saying this...I LOVE Jodi Picoult. Many reviews that I read about her state that she is overrated, but I completely disagree. First of all, you can tell that she puts a great deal of research into her books. She takes this research, and creates a fictional story from it...and not just any fictional story, but one that makes you feel emotions on multiple levels. And on top of all of that, she always writes about things that are not easy to write about. The first Picoult novel I read was Nineteen Minutes...which dealt with a school shooting. This book, The Tenth Circle, dealt with rape, and adultery. I have read a lot of books in my life, and most of the ones I have read that deal with such serious subjects are overwhelming. Picoult is able to lace the story with other interesting back stories and the result makes you feel the sadness that you should feel when reading this type of subject matter, but the outcomes also give you a sense of hope.



2. Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding
I really like this movie, so when the book was on sale at Books a Million I figured...what the heck? Let's give it a shot. I'm always up for some chick lit. It's pretty similar to the movie...thirty-something Bridget Jones deals with all annoying necessary life occurrences. She hilariously documents it all...weight issues, work problems, men troubles...in her diary. It was funny, I'll give it that. Not one of the best things I've ever read, but it was still entertaining. It took me longer to get through it than I expected because I just wasn't overly excited about cracking it open whenever I would sit down to read. However, I don't regret it. I also bought the sequel, which I will read eventually.


3. Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
This has been sitting on my "to read" shelf for a while now, and upon finishing it all I could think was...why didn't I read this sooner? Within these pages, Louisa Clark, an average twenty-something woman, takes a job as a caregiver for a quadriplegic man named Will. I don't want to give away too much of the story, but in a nutshell, Will wishes to willingly end his life because he doesn't believe it is worth living anymore. Louisa makes the decision to help Will's family by trying to remind him of all of the ways that he can still have the life that he feels he has been deprived of. Along the way, her feelings for him become deeper than she ever could have expected. I think so many "love" stories are ruined by cheesy romance. The refreshing thing about this book was that it was a look at a unique, yet real connection between two people. Honestly...I thought it was wonderful.

What have you been reading lately? I'm now currently reading Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. I'm not going to give my thoughts on it so far though...I'll save that for my next post about books.

Happy almost-Friday!
The Rachael Way said...

I've read the first two books and really enjoyed them! Jodi Picoult is one of my favorite authors. I also really like Bridget Jones... I feel like I relate to her.. is that bad?!

Kelli @Just Beachy said...

I'm currently reading Nature Girl by Carl Hiaasen, found at the used book store cheap and not to bad I guess.

I read Gone Girl this summer, it's definitely a different book but I really loved the ending.

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

1. Yay I cannot wait for you to finish your novel!!

2. Jodi Picoult is totally one of my favorite authors, I don't care what anyone says.

3. I've been wanting to read Me Before You, glad you liked it!

4. I just read Rare Bird and reviewed it on the blog today, it was so good!

Nadine Lynn said...

Me Before You sounds interesting and something different! I am reading book 13 of 21 in the Stephanie Plum series. I am LOVING this series!

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.