3.30.2015

To Prague and Beyond

Several months ago, probably sometime in October, I was having a text message conversation about life with my good friend Elena. I was venting to her about how I just can't seem to come across a feeling of fulfillment in my life. I sat there and typed paragraphs to her about how I feel like I"m wasting my life because i'm just "going through the motions" of college, work, and attempting to find love. I was in a place where my dreams seemed ridiculously far away, and literally everything seemed unattainable.

After I had finished my rant, Elena asked me a question. She said, "If you could do anything with your life right now, money and responsibility aside, what would you want to do?"

I took me half a second to respond, because I know exactly what I WANT to do in life. So, I replied, "I would travel the world and read books and write to my heart's content."

Her response is what made me really begin to become proactive about making a major change in my life. She didn't give me the typical, "Well, maybe someday..." or "Too bad that's just not realistic," reply that I have been so used to hearing. Instead, she said something along the lines of, "So do it."

Now, I won't lie, after this conversation, I sat there and made a mental list of all of the reasons that I can't jet set off to some foreign destination and begin a new life. This is something I have pondered doing for years, and I always chalked it up to not a reasonable thing to do because of things like "responsibility" and finances.

But, for some reason, this time things hit me a little differently and my pondering led to positive results instead of negative ones . I began to look at moving out of the country and travelling as not just a dream, but as a possibility. And, as fate would have it, a month or so later, Elena mentioned the possibility of teaching English overseas. She was getting ready to apply to a program in Spain. The idea was intriguing, so I began to do my own research on different teaching opportunities, and the perfect one for me kind of just fell into my lap.

Now, a few months later, I am preparing to move to the Czech Republic to live in Prague, obtain my TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certification, and teach English for a living. My heart is so full, and the excitement that I feel each time I think about this upcoming journey is just not something I have been able to put into words yet. Knowing that I will be living in a new and beautiful place, beginning a new career that will be beneficial to the lives of others, and traveling Europe in my spare time is honestly, more than I could have ever asked for.

So, this is my public declaration...on July 31st, 2015, I will be getting on a one-way flight to Prague. My plane ticket has been purchased, and my next few months here will be spent saving, planning, and preparing for the move. This is frightening and enthralling at the same time.

Thoughts, prayers, good vibes, and advice are definitely welcome during this process! I would love to hear about any personal experiences with traveling or living abroad, as well as tips for packing and international travel.

I also have a Fund my Travel page, which you can find HERE. I was hesitant to make one of these pages, and while I expect absolutely nothing from anyone, getting over there in order to teach is not exactly a cheap endeavor. So, I figured...why not?

Thank you all so much for reading my rants and raves. I have a feeling that this blog is going to find a whole new life over the next year.

Dawn @ Life in the Sack said...

Miranda...oh my goodness. This is absolutely wonderful for you. I can't wait to hear about all of your adventures!!

xo Dawn

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.