5.03.2015

5 Thoughts You Have While Preparing to Move Abroad

It's no longer a secret that I am planning to make a HUGE move at the end of the summer. On July 31, 2015, I will be hopping on a plane and setting flight to not just a new city or new state, but a new COUNTRY. I am still in a bit of a shock. Beginning in August, Prague, Czech Republic will be my new home. (That is officially the strangest sentence I have ever typed.)

Now, I have been through my fair share of emotions since making this decision. First there was overwhelming excitement. Then there was worry of whether or not I would actually be able to make it happen. Now, I would have to say that I have officially reached the "fear" portion of the "preparing to move abroad process." Over the past couple of weeks, my mind has been a bustling metropolis of thoughts, questions, and "you can do this" pep talks. So, in order to make myself feel a bit less crazy, I figured I would get everything out on the table and turn my thoughts into a blog post. 

Introducing...


5 Thoughts You Have While Preparing to Move Abroad

1. AM I ACTUALLY GOING TO DO THIS?
Okay, so correct me if I'm wrong, but moving abroad is kind of one of those things that you dream of doing, and think about how amazing it would be to actually do it, but in the back of your mind you still kind of think it will never happen. Am I right or am I wrong? As I mentioned earlier, this entire thing is still so...surreal. I have the passport. I have the plane ticket. I'm doing everything possible to make sure that I will have the money. Yet, it still somehow hasn't hit me. 

2. WHAT IF I HATE IT?
In the back of my mind, I know that there is just absolutely no way that I'm going to HATE this adventure. Yes, I know it's going to be hard. I know I"m going to get homesick, and I'm going to have a somewhat difficult time adjusting. I'm probably even going to do my fair share of crying. But, am I going to HATE it? There is absolutely no stinkin' way. I think this question still pops into my head every now and then though because "What if you hate it?" is a question that I get asked A LOT lately. Therefore, of course I"m going to dwell on it every now and then. 

3. WHAT IF I FORGET SOMETHING CRUCIAL?
As I'm sure you an imagine, there is A TON of preparation involved with moving abroad. I mean, you are practically picking up your entire life and running full speed into the unknown. There are the basic preparations, such a what to do with your stuff (because you obviously can't take it all with you), how to keep in touch with people, making sure you have enough money, etc. However, there are also the more complicated things, such as Visa applications, and traveler's insurance, and researching the culture and the people that you are about to be surrounded by. It's a lot...but I suppose that's what list-making is for. 

4. IS THIS A MATURE/RESPONSIBLE DECISION?
I kind of hate that I even worry myself about this one, because honestly,..why would following your dreams EVER be an irresponsible decision. Some days though, I get so caught up in the logistics of everything. So, I'm going to leave a guaranteed job, a comfortable apartment, all of my friends and family, a steady paycheck, and my health insurance? I'm going to sale my car? I'm going to get rid of most of my lifetime of belongings? Yes, yes I am. And I'm doing all of this to go to somewhere I have never been and teach English as a foreign language? I'm doing this to learn, and travel and grow as a person? Yes...yes I CERTAINLY am. 

5. WHAT AM I HOPING TO GAIN FROM THIS EXPERIENCE?
This question always has the same answer, and that answer is...everything. I am hoping to gain everything. I want to satisfy my craving for "more." I want to see places I've never seen. I want to hear languages I've never heard. I want to meet new people and make new friends. I want to try new foods, and listen to new music, and submerse myself in things that are going to put me ridiculously far outside of my comfort zone. I want to gain everything...and I CANNOT WAIT. 

Have you ever lived abroad? Do you currently live abroad? Are you, like me, in the process of moving abroad? I want to know all about it! 


The Rachael Way said...

AH congrats!!! What will you be doing there? How exciting! If you ever need someone to talk to or want me to email you my really long packing list for my move abroad, I'm happy to help!

Vicky Hunt said...

Love the new look and love you too! :)

Kelli @Kellibeans said...

Hi! It's Kelli from that soup blog.

My sister moved to Europe in July of 2014, she teaches biology and other related courses to members of the military and their spouses. So far she's only lived in Belgium and Germany but she moves every 12 weeks based on where the University she teaches for sends her next.

She is currently in Grafenwohr Germany but leaves for Kaiserslautern on June 1 for her next 12 weeks.

So far she's purchased a car, obtained a foreign driver's license, rented apartments in three different cities, purchased a bike and traveled the surrounding countries extensively.

Since she moves so often everything she owns fits into her car and a small storage spot for her winter tires.

I'll put you two in touch via email, I use a personal email address for family stuff but I'll title my email move to Europe and Introduction so you will know it's me.

A Life Less Traveled said...

Congrats!! Prague is on the top of my places I want to visit list, so awesome that you will be living there.

Connie said...

Hi Miranda, I just came over from your Momma's blog and have to say that I admire your courage and lust for travel and adventure. I have always wanted to travel abroad but never really had the chance and now that I'm much older, I'm happy traveling over the internet and enjoying the travels of others. I have added you to my favorites list, so that I can tag-along on your adventure. I hope you don't mind.
If you haven't already, you should open a Skype account to visit with your Momma; she is a sweetheart and although she is very happy that you are living your dream, she is still a Momma and Momma's worry about the ones they love.
Well, that's enough advice, from an old lady that you don't even know, right:) You will be in my prayers . . . have a wonderful adventure and may all our dreams come true.
Connie :)

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.