A Weekend in Plzen

A couple of weekends ago, the Prague Squad (aka: Jess, Ephram and I) took a trip over to Plzen, Czech Republic for Ephram's birthday weekend. Plzen is only about an hour away from Prague, so it was a very convenient getaway. If you are familiar with Plzen, it's probably because you are have heard of their beer, Pilsner Urquell, which is a very famous Czech beer. People come to this little town from all over the world for a taste of the beer.

The weekend got off to a bit of a rough start, with us going to the wrong bus station. We went to Florenc, the main bus station, more out of habit than anything, because that's where we have always left from for past travels. Imagine our surprise when we were told that our bus was actually leaving from Zlicin, which was about a 40 minute metro ride away. Luckily, we were able to cancel the tickets for the bus we were going to miss, and book tickets for a bus that was leaving a bit later.

Despite the setback, we still made it to Plzen fairly early in the evening. Our accommodation for the weekend was at the Hostel River, which was actually quite cool because the room we ended up in was loft style, with two beds in the main room and the third in a sleeping nook in the loft. Plzen itself is fairly small, and overall reminded me of a miniature Prague. If you are like me, and you enjoy just wandering around and appreciating things and taking pictures, you would love Plzen. There are also several cool little bars and restaurants, so if you like food and drink (which, who doesn't?), you will be a happy person.

My favorite part of exploring was getting to climb to the top of the tower of St. Bartholomew's Cathedral. There were a lot of very steep stairs to climb, but it was worth conquering them to get to the view at the top. You will see in the photos below that there were plenty of red roofs to please the eye. I could have spent a couple of hours up there, just looking out over the city.

The main reason that we went to Plzen though, was to go to the famous beer spa. What is a beer spa, you ask? Well, essentially, it's exactly what it sounds like. You get to soak in a bathtub full of warm beer and exfoliates, and drink as much beer as you possibly can while doing so. If you know me, you know that I'm not really all that crazy about beer (although I have grown more fond of it since I have lived in the Czech Republic), but the experience was still really cool. My skin was insanely soft after leaving, and it was overall very relaxing. Plus, how often do you get to soak in a tub full of beer?

Overall, it was a great weekend adventure. Every time I go somewhere, all I can do is think about where I'm going to go next. Europe has a way of doing that to you. The possibilities are endless.
























3 comments

Margaret said...

Oh all this talk of good Czech beer is making my mouth water. Partially because it's hard to get a lot of them (though obviously not Pilsner) in the US...but partially because I miss drinking beer (dang pregnancy!). I hated beer before I went there too- and came back a total beer snob.

Wandering around cities and just getting lost in them was my favorite thing to do! The views from St. Bartholomew's were definitely amazing- and worth the climb!

Vicky Hunt said...

Love all the pictures! So pretty...:) Is that a market square? Looks so cool! I'm so happy you're having such fun exploring Europe. Love and miss you!

Always, Mama

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

A beer spa - sounds cool.

Love all the photos.