1.08.2016

Goal Setting is Always a Good Idea


It's 2016!

Okay, so technically it's been 2016 for about 8 days now. But, sometimes I like to be fashionably late. And, blogging fashionably late has always been a specialty of mine.

2015 was a great year for me. I really followed through with the goals that I set for myself, and at the end of the year I realized that I am the happiest I have been in a very long time. Stressed and still adjusting to being abroad, but happy.

I like to think of 2015 as the year that I began to get my life back. I took some risks, and I am a better person for it. I think risk-taking was appropriate for me, especially after the low year that 2014 was. Sometimes, you have to do drastic things to get to the place in life that you want to be. Luckily for me, the risks have paid off for the most part.

Last year, I moved abroad, changed careers, traveled to five new countries, adjusted to life in a non-English speaking country, and even met someone that I have fallen head over heels in love with. I would go so far as to say that 2015 has been the most challenging, but also the best year of my life so far. Things that I have only ever dreamed of became a reality for me. I'm still in a bit of a shock.

So, now it is time to look forward. I have never been a fan of "resolutions," but I do believe that the beginning of a new year is the prime time to set new goals and think about things you want to change or accomplish. Therefore, I have made a list of 2016 goals and I thought that I would share them with you. If you're interested, keep on reading. ;)

2016 Goals

1. Make 20,000 to 30,000 Czech crowns per month. 
Living in a different country means surviving on a different currency. Since I began teaching, money has been really tight for me. I really want to get to a more comfortable place so I can not only pay my living costs, but also continue to travel Europe. Therefore, I am looking into teaching for a second school. I actually have an interview next week!

2. Be more social. 
I have always tended to be the type of person who hangs out with a very small circle of people. While there is nothing wrong with that, I want to take advantage of the situation I'm in and really get to know a lot of people. As an introvert, I also like to spend a great deal of time by myself. And, while there is nothing wrong with that, too much alone time can also damage my overall mood. So, being more social is something I really need to work on.

3. Visit at least 5 new countries. 
Last year, I visited the United Kingdom, the Czech Republic, Austria, Germany, and Slovakia. This year, I want to visit at least five new countries. I could honestly probably do more. However, it does depend heavily on free time and finances. I really want to be able to make travel a priority.

4. Read 30 books. 
Reading is something I really like to do consistently. Books have been a lifelong addiction of mine, and I don't feel completely like myself when I'm not reading regularly. Last year I read 18 books, which is not as many as I would have liked. This year, I'm confident that I will be able to read at least 30.

5. Write, write, write. 
I have decided that blogging 4-8 times per month would be ideal. I would also like to think that this could be the year that I finish the novel I've been slowly (and I do mean slowly) writing. Writing is kind of like reading for me. I'm happier when I have it in my life.

6. Lose 20 more pounds. 
Since moving to Prague, I have lost around 25-30 pounds. It's honestly not something that I even tried to do...the lifestyle change just caused it to happen. However, I am really happy with the change and I want to keep it going. I would be over the moon happy with my body if I lost about 20 more pounds.

7. Get rid of the distance. 
I haven't mentioned anything about this here yet, but I have met a man that I am absolutely crazy about. It is currently a "long distance" relationship. He lives in the UK, and I live here in Prague. We see each other every month or so, but we both hope to be able to remove the distance from the equation by the end of the year. This is the goal I want to achieve more than anything, and I'm confident that we will figure out how to make it happen.

Do you have resolutions or goals for the new year? I would love to hear about them! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season, and that the transition back into the routine of life is going smoothly. Have a great weekend!
Ephram Ryan said...

Great goals. I dig the 5 new countries thing. I think Hungary, Poland, Netherlands, Denmark and France could be a good start. Here are my goals: 1. Learn German 2. Get Celta certified. 3. Draw more. 4. Move to Germany and try and be happier 5. Visit 5 new countries (I love this idea)

Cynthia said...

I read 18 books last year too! My goal has been 20 for the past few years... I think this is the year I do it! It's tough when you're teaching all day and trying to do a billion of other things too... which is why my winter weekends are going to be all about it ;)
Yours are some great goals! It takes a little bit to get acclimated and for the money you earn to actually go towards fun things and not the necessities after you get situated. I'm sure you'll be successful with that!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Wonderful goals. I am so happy you have found someone special and I hope that works out soon!
hugs,
Linda

Cecilia said...

My three main goals right now are to travel the world to actually step foot out side of the United States..
Expand on my herbalife business
And finish school always been scared of failure tho think it's high time to step out side of my comfort zone..
Hats off to you your a brave soul....

Vicky Hunt said...

You have much to be proud of! You set some HUGE goals last year and you accomplished them all! I am so very proud of you. I know this year will be just as great! Your goals are really good and seem very attainable. I'll be praying that you can achieve them all this year. Love you!

Always, Mama

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.