2.21.2016

Anxiety and Travel : 4 Types of People

I am just one week away from my trip home to Florida!

One week from today, I will be meeting up in London with my boyfriend Shahid, and one week from tomorrow we will be flying out for Florida! I don't think that I have ever been this excited for a trip. Of course I was over the moon when I was preparing to move to Prague back in July, but this trip is different. I'm going home for a very special event (my cousin Shelby's wedding), and I will not only be surrounded by the people I love the most, but I will also have a new very loved person with me. Shahid lives in England and has never been to America, so I'm really looking forward to introducing him to my home!

Since I have been preparing for the trip, I have been doing a lot of thinking about people and the ways that they travel. Everyone does things differently...some people handle things one way and others handle it another. Some people are super anxious about traveling and all of the details, and others couldn't be more laid back. All of my thinking has led me to compile a list of what I believe are the four different types of travelers, and how anxiety affects them.


1. The Fully Anxious Traveler
This is the person that doesn't understand the actual meaning of "vacation." If you are a fully anxious traveler, there is not a detail of your trip that you have NOT obsessed over. This person stresses over booking tickets, packing, getting to the airport, getting on the correct plane, airplane safety, losing luggage, finding the correct hotel, and then sticking to their carefully planned holiday schedule. When this person finally begins to enjoy themselves, it's time for them to depart for home and begin worrying all over again.

2. The Detail Anxious Traveler
This is actually the category that I feel I fall into. Detail anxious travelers have no worries about the travel or trip themselves, but rather the preparation for the trip. What if I wait too long to buy tickets and then can't afford them? What if my flight is cancelled last minute? What if I forget something crucial? What if I look at times incorrectly and completely miss my departure? Detail anxious travelers may be overly organized while preparing for a trip, but once they're finally en route to their destination, they are going to enjoy every second of it.

3. The Anxiety Free Traveler
This person is the complete opposite of the fully anxious traveler. Nothing seems to bother them, and they are professionals at adopting the mentality that there is no problem that cannot be worked through. Lost luggage or a missed flight are merely bumps in the road for someone who falls into this group of free-spirited people.

4. The Destination Anxious Traveler
If you do not particularly enjoy traveling, and only do it when you absolutely have to, you may fall into this group. A destination anxious traveler is comfortable with going through the motions of packing and preparing, but they are very nervous about actually arriving to and navigating a new place. Destination anxious travelers are not a fan of being out of their comfort zone, and do their best to keep their travels to a minimum.

What type of traveler are you? Can you think of any types of travelers that I missed? Please leave me a comment with your thoughts!

Vicky Hunt said...

I'm a number 2 also! I can't wait to see you and Shahid! 8 more sleeps!!!!!! Love you!

Always, Mama

Kelli @Kellibeans said...

I'm an anxious traveler because I'm always worried I'm going to get sick which I do more times than not. Also I feel more comfortable at home and always feel a little anxious until I return.

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.