Kutna Hora, Czech Republic

One really cool thing about living in the Czech Republic is the fact that it is a country full of interesting and quirky places to visit. People mainly tend to associate the Czech Republic with Prague, obviously because it is a gorgeous capital city. However, many people I have talked to (particularly people from the U.S.) are not familiar with Prague's existence or location, and even more people are unaware that the Czech Republic and Slovakia are completely separate countries.

Anyway, the point of that mini history lesson is so that I can say this...the Czech Republic may not be everyone's first choice for travel, but that doesn't mean that it isn't worth traveling. Sure, the language seems a bit scary, but it is fairly easy to find English speakers anywhere. Even better, it's insanely affordable. The only people I would not recommend Czech travel destinations to are those who expect five-star everything.  You can find that in Prague if that's what you're into, but not so much in lesser known cities and towns. Many destinations come complete with that more "gritty" feeling, but that is what makes them interesting. Plus, those types of places can still be so beautiful. And the great news is, I still have quite a few of them to see. 

A few weeks ago, my friend Ephram and I went on a day trip to Kutna Hora, which is about a 45 minute train ride from Prague. It was the first opportunity I have had to travel by train, and I really enjoyed it. I felt like I was on the Hogwarts Express or something. It was even snowing!

The main attraction in Kutna Hora is the Sedlec Ossuary, also known as the bone church. The first time I ever came across the existence of this place, I was a bit confused because it seemed so morbid. Essentially, an entire chapel in the Church of All Saints is filled with real, human bones....those of about 40,000 people to be more precise. Sounds a bit dark, right? After a bit of research though, I realized that the significance of the Sedlec Ossuary is, in a strange way, quite beautiful. You can learn more about it here if you're interested!

The bone church was not as large as I was expecting it to be, but it was still more than worth seeing. Everything in the room seems to be made of bones...from giant candelabras to a chandelier. You can tell that it was all very intricately created, and the result is a memorial unlike any other I have ever seen. It really is one of those unique things that could only be found in somewhere like the Czech Republic. 

The day we were there, it snowed pretty much non-stop, so much of the day was spent wandering around freezing. The older part of the city was nice to walk around, and even though almost everything was closed because of the snow, it was hard to be too upset because it made for a very picturesque setting. We had lunch at a quaint little cafe called Cafe Lavande. I had borscht and a burger, which cured both my cold and my hunger, ha ha. 

I'm trying not to spend too much time talking about how cold it was...but it WAS, and whenever I think of Kutna Hora the first thing I see in my mind in falling snow. Still, I enjoyed the trip and I plan to go back in the summer, when more things are open and it's not as miserable to be outside. Now...let me stop rambling and post the photos, which are probably what you all really want to see. 























No comments