On Blogging : Failures and New Directions

I have been blogging for a good, long while.

I started my very first blog (which is no longer in existence because it's embarrassing), over six years ago, when I was 20. The title of that blog was Life is an Art. At that time, I had discovered the "beauty blogging" community, and I was intrigued by it. I loved all of the photos, and the posts, and the way that everyone got together to share their thoughts. So, that's what I attempted to do. Looking back, that was a hilarious idea, because guess what? I don't even necessarily like beauty-related stuff. I can't do my hair or makeup very well to this day, and my nail polish addiction was short-lived. I think it's what I tried to write about though, because that was the first type of blog I had seen. I didn't realize the vast variety of subjects that the blogging world had to offer.

After my beauty blogging endeavors died out, I deleted that blog and began fresh with my first "lifestyle" blog, Young, and In Progress. This blog is also no longer in existence because of a name and URL change, but some of my way older posts here were originally published there. That blog was much closer to the type of blogging path I knew I was intended to take. I shared a lot of personal stories, and wrote posts that I basically thought were fun. I eventually reached a place where I wasn't satisfied with the name of that blog. I didn't feel like it was something that could really grow with me. Therefore, I made a change, and Miranda Writes was born.

There are really two reasons that I settled on the name Miranda Writes. The first is, I thought it was a "punny" play on the well-known "Miranda Rights." The second is...I love to write. I know, I know, I'm so original. Anyway, when I made that name change, my blog really hit a consistent stride. I was posting every day of the week and I was gaining a lot of new readers. I made a lot of blog friends, and I was more connected to the blogging world than ever. I'm not going to lie, it was a lot of fun. I even made attempts at beginning a small hand lettering business, and I was beginning to believe it was possible to make a living off of being "self-employed" through blogging.

Then...my depression punched me right in the face, and I fell into the lowest state I have ever been in. I stopped communicating with people, I lost sight of my goals, and slowly but surely...I stopped blogging. I went from writing five posts a week, to writing maybe two posts a month. I lost my readers, I lost my blog traffic, and I fell out of contact with a lot of my friends. Essentially, I became a really crappy blogger, and I just couldn't re-grasp my knack for it.

Now, it's over one year later. I am living an entirely new life abroad, and blogging has slowly been returning to my weekly routine. I'm beginning to feel like I have meaningful things to say again, and pertinent advice to give. I've been easing myself back into the blogging world, and I have been thinking a lot about the type of commitment that I want to make to Miranda Writes. Here is what I have decided...

Writing is a passion of mine, so why wouldn't I use it to the extent of my abilities? Yes, I have my novel there to receive my creative energy, but as much as I enjoy diving into a fictional world, I also have insights that I feel compelled to share here in the real world. Therefore, I'm going to devote this space to content that I feel is beneficial to myself and others.

While I always tend to think of my blogging demise (ha ha, that sounds so dramatic) as a negative thing, I have realized that there are actually some positive things that came from it. One of those positive things is, I now know that posting things you truly want to post is way more important than posting a post just to have content. (I just used the word "post" way too much, but hopefully my thought is clear.) Another, and perhaps the most important thing I have learned, is what type of blogger I want to be. I know what I want to write about, and I know what type of content is going to be genuine for me to produce. With that being said, consider this the official announcement of the topics you can expect to see here:

Sunday: Post related to travel or living abroad
Monday: General lifestyle or personal post (AKA: Free for all)
Tuesday: Another post related to travel or living abroad
Thursday: Post related to writing...tips and tricks, or possibly short fictional pieces

I have spent a couple of weeks creating this schedule, and I am excited to have a bit of organization added back into the mix. As a side note, if you haven't seen my past announcement, I have chosen to create a new blog devoted entirely to books and reading. Otherwise, this site would be overrun with nothing but book related ramblings. You can find that blog at Miranda Reads, where new posts will go up on Tuesdays and Fridays. 

Thank you so much to everyone who supports me through my writing. I look forwards to re-establishing Miranda Writes as both a personal outlet and brand name. Please feel free to leave any questions or thoughts that you may have in the comments below. Have a wonderful week, and I will see you on Thursday! 


2 comments

Lottiefla said...

I look forward to reading your blog posts! Keep up the good work... On a side note -- I hope that your schedule is flexible --- in other words, a post every day might be a lot to keep up with. When it starts to be a chore, it might not be as much fun anymore... Leave yourself some room to breath, pretty lady!

Kelli @Kellibeans said...

I need a schedule like this, right now Friday is my only regular posting day. I'd like to shoot for three days a week but I need to think of other things to say.