4.30.2016

A Year Abroad : Food Favorites

I've had plans to do this post for a while now, but each time I would think about writing it was somehow always a time when I was hungry. And...this isn't really the type of post a person wants to write when they're hungry but have none of this delicious food to cure their cravings. So, if you're hungry, read with caution. 

I just had a lovely brunch of chocolate chip pancakes with a friend, and I'm quite full, so I'm seizing the opportunity. As my year abroad is coming to an end, I find myself reflecting on all of the different aspects of living and traveling in Central Europe and the U.K. I realized, that one of the aspects I haven't talked very much about is all of the amazing food that I have consumed. 

Living abroad has put me in the unique situation of being able to eat a lot of delicious food while also losing weight at the same time. This will probably never happen again...but at least I will have this blog post to look at in fondness in the future. So, without further rambling, let me introduce you to some of my favorite food experiences from the past year. 

***Disclaimer: I'm not a picky eater by any means, but I'm also not the most adventurous. Some of these may not be the most exciting foods, but I loved them anyway!***


Since Prague has been my home here in Europe, let's begin with the Czech food, shall we? Now...I have to be honest. There isn't a lot of Czech food that is appealing to me. Cabbage and pork knuckle just aren't things that I'm dying to order at a restaurant. However, if you have any sort of appetite for meat and potatoes, you will find dishes that you like.

Chicken steak with peppers, vegetables, and "American" potatoes.
So, technically, my favorite food that I have eaten in the Czech Republic isn't a traditionally Czech food...but the Czech version of it is just delicious. That food is goulash, more specifically, beef goulash with bread dumplings. I have tried several different variations of it here. The main difference is usually how the dumplings are prepared. But, I can honestly say I haven't found a variation that I don't like.

The first meal I ever had in Prague. 
These dumplings have pieces of bacon in them. Be still my heart...literally,, because cholesterol. 
Every Sunday morning, my friends and I go for brunch at Cafe Sladkovsky. It has a really nice atmosphere, and their breakfast food is SO GOOD. And also really affordable, which never hurts. There is nothing that is super special about the foods they serve...it's just typical breakfast food. But, the way they prepare the food is what makes it stand out. It's just so tasty. If you're ever in Prague, I recommend going to Sunday brunch here.

Bacon and eggs from Cafe Sladkovsky. 
Now, I can't write this post without chatting about "street food." When traveling, this is sometimes the easiest route to take, because it's cheap and fast, but still really good. The Christmas markets in Slovakia, Germany, and the Czech Republic were full of more options than you could imagine, so it was pretty mandatory to try something. Plus, I'm pretty sure it's illegal to visit Austria or Germany without trying a sausage.

Ciganska pecienka (Gypsy roast) at the Christmas market in Bratislava. It's basically chicken or pork meat, with onions and mustard served on a bun. 
Bratwurst in Berlin. 
This next food favorite is a bit random, because it's definitely not a meal that would come to mind in relation to Europe. When Shahid and I visited Berlin the first time, we ate at a really good Thai place near the famous Checkpoint Charlie. (I sadly cannot remember the name of the place, or find it on Google...I'm sorry!) Anyway, they have a Checkpoint Charlie sushi roll that is to die for. I never thought I could love sushi, but I loved this. We even went back to get it again on our second trip to Berlin. I'm not kidding when I say I think of this sushi at least once a week.

The Checkpoint Charlie. I would describe it as a fried California roll with a really yummy, sweet sauce. 
To wrap this post up, let's end with some dessert. To put things simply, I have "ice creamed" and "pastried" my way through my travels. Again, I'm not the most adventurous with sweet stuff. I like things plain and simple, yet delicious. I'm still amazed at the amount of pastries around every corner...and the variety! I hope you like sugar.

Chocolate croissant in Vienna. 
Ice cream trio in Prague Old Town. Chocolate, vanilla, and hazelnut. 

Chocolate twist from the supermarket. 
Gelato at Amorino in London. The dulce de leche was AMAZING. 
And...there you have it! Some of my favorite food experiences from the past nine months. The good news is, I still have about six more weeks to add to this list. I'm still on a mission to try the coveted trdlnik ice cream cone. Last time I tried to get one the line was CRAZY, but I think Shahid and I may have to try again when he is here in a few days. I will keep you updated on this venture.

What are some of your favorite foods you have tried while traveling? Please leave me a comment and let me know!
Linda @ A La Carte said...

What fun! I'm not really adventurous about food myself. Paris had the best croissants, coffee and quiche! The best!

Lottiefla said...

Mmmmm.... that post made me HUNGRY!!
Lovely photos and descriptions... have you learned how to cook any of those wonderful dishes? I suppose it's easier to just eat out, huh? Thanks for the great post.

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

Oh, I think I'd eat all of that but the sushi really caught my eye.

Cynthia said...

Ooh, I do love a good brunch recommendation. Going to have to try your favorite spot... I miss brunch so much :)
I think I'm going to have to wait in the damn queue and actually get one of the trdelnik ice cream cones. Just this one time....

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.