4.29.2016

Giving You the Blue of the Sky


Well, my first venture with teaching English as a second language is officially over.

Today was my final day of teaching with my language schools. I have spent the last five days saying goodbye to my students...who also happen to be really, really, extraordinary people. I have been teaching some of these people for eight months now, and it feels strange to know that I'm never going to walk in and sit down to have a lesson with them again.

Anyone who is a teacher of any type knows that there is so much more to the job than simply "teaching." We may be there to share our knowledge, but we also end up learning in return. Working with Czech students has given me the ability to not only see their language skills improve, but also to learn so much about their culture and their personalities. It's an experience that I will never forget, and I hope it's not the end of my teaching career.

In true Czech fashion, a couple of my students gave me goodbye gifts. One gave me a rose, and one gave me chocolate and a cool notebook. The student who gave me the chocolate is a meteorologist, and I'm not exaggerating when I say that she is one of the most interesting, successful, and strong women that I have ever met.

The chocolate that she gave me was in a blue box. She explained to me that she found one in a blue box on purpose, because she wanted to give it to me and leave me with a Czech proverb. When translated to English, the proverb reads:

"I can't give you much, but I can give you the blue of the sky."

We parted with well wishes to each other, and I was really grateful for the chocolate, but even more grateful for the meaning that accompanied the chocolate. It has left me thinking all day. And here is what I have concluded.

We meet a lot of people throughout our lives...more than we could ever possibly remember the names of. Some leave us with good memories, and some with bad...but regardless of the feelings we associate with them, they are always going to remain in our minds. What if we could give something to each and every person that we encounter? What if we could send them on their way with something that would benefit their life each and every day?

Obviously it would be impossible to leave each person with something material...but I believe that's where this proverb comes in.

We can always leave people with the blue of the sky. We can leave them with wishes of luck, with hope for their futures, and with positive thoughts to reflect on in their daily lives. We can leave them with respect, and kindness, and fondness. We can leave them with reminders of new and exciting times to come.

So, that is how I'm going to view this past year as I prepare to leave Prague. When I depart from this beautiful city in a few short weeks, I will go with fond memories of every person I have met. To everyone I have gotten to know since last summer, whether you are a student, friend, fellow teacher, or acquaintance, I'm leaving you with the bluest of blue skies.
Vicky Hunt said...

This brought tears to my eyes. If only we all thought this way each and every day with everyone we encounter. People would be happier and the world would be a better place. I know you're going to miss your students and Prague, but you have new adventures to begin. Life is good and you are blessed. Love you!

Always, Mama

Adrienne said...

Miranda, This also made me tear up. What an amazing way to end your *first* teaching venture. I know you're headed home, but as someone who's headed home twice (three if you count the failed Amsterdam venture!) to regroup and gather my forces, I can tell you that it'll be okay. (Weird maybe, but definitely okay.) I've been following your blog since the course and I *love* seeing Prague and teaching through your eyes. Please keep writing through the next venture, and I will look forward to reading it and finding out where you go next. It's been a pleasure having you around in the meantime, and I hope we cross paths again.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Oh Miranda, this was lovely! What a beautiful thought. I have met many in my life journey and had many blue skies given to me, I hope I gave some to others along the way also.
hugs!!
Linda

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

What a lovely post. I always believe that God puts people in our lives for a reason, at the exact time that we need them. You will treasure this journey forever.

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.