You're Always More than You Think


Public Service Announcement: Leaving the Czech Republic is just as complicated as getting into the Czech Republic. 

Well, I wouldn't necessarily say that either process is complicated...more like time consuming. If you want to do things legally, there are a lot of steps to take, a lot of people to talk to (or use a translator to talk to), and a lot of paperwork to complete. This has been my life for the past week. 

My Visa expired on Wednesday, so I had to go to the foreign police to get a stamp in my passport to show that I am re-starting my tourist Visa, since I will be here for a couple of more weeks. That was about a three hour adventure. Earlier in the week I also had to go un-register with the social office. Everything is taken care of in terms of leaving my schools, FINALLY. Now I just have to un-register with the financial office, cancel my Czech phone plan, cancel my Czech bank account, pay off any outstanding balances on my bills here, and...PACK. 

When I moved here last summer, I came with one large suitcase, a backpack, and a small duffel bag. I have since accumulated a medium sized suitcase, and bought a few things, so I'm really hoping that I can comfortably get everything back to Florida in two suitcases. I'm about 99% sure this is doable. I guess we will see as the packing process ensues. 

I went through all of my teaching supplies and important paperwork today. I trashed a good majority of the stuff, but there are a few things that I want to keep. I have also accumulated a pile of bits and bobs...bus and plane tickets, city maps, receipts from different experiences, etc. I sorted through it today as well, and decided to keep most of it. Because, hello...scrapbooks and collages are in the near-ish future. 

Something I have been beating myself up over lately is the thought that I feel like I haven't done enough while I have been in Europe. Sure, I have visited five new countries, saw a lot of things, and learned even more, but I'm still left asking...was it enough? I have no doubt that there is plenty of traveling in my future, but did I take full advantage of this experience? 

This question has popped up daily, but when I step back to really take a look at the situation, the answer is a resounding yes. Yes, I have taken full advantage. Did I get to do everything I wanted to do? Definitely not. But, with the time, finances, and position I was given...I did pretty darn well. Especially considering that this is the first opportunity I have had to feed my desire for European travel. I worked hard to be able to have this experience, and even though it hasn't ended in exactly the way I was hoping it would...I refuse to dwell on the "what if's?"

Constantly thinking that we could have done something better or different is a huge downfall of our nature as human beings. At least...I think it is. Why? Because doubts way too often interfere with our ability to appreciate and enjoy our lives. Sure...there is probably always something that we could do better, or differently, but things happen in the way that they do for a reason. 

We are always more than we think we are. Situations are not always going to meet our perfect expectations, but that does not mean that we are failures. Every day is a new adventure. When we wake up each morning, we don't wake up knowing exactly what successes or or disasters we will face. We learn as we go. We handle life as it comes. And the fact that we handle it...that is proof enough that we are more than our minds lead us to believe. 

Going through these mementos that I have accumulated over the past year made me realize that. I have done so much more than I ever thought I would. I myself am more than I think I am. And you, you are too. I encourage you to take a second to appreciate that about yourself. 

Happy Friday! I hope you all have a fantastic weekend!

1 comment

Vicky Hunt said...

Yes, you are more than you think you are. You have done a lot more than you would have had you never gone. Your life is richer for it and you will add more countries to that list someday. We can scrapbook this summer! :)

Love Always, Mama