3.23.2017

Another Bargain Book Haul {2nd and Charles}

In case you couldn't tell from my Ollie's haul a couple of weeks ago, I really appreciate a good book bargain.

There's a store right down the road from my office called 2nd and Charles. My cousin Shelby told me that they have great prices on gently used books, so I have been meaning to take a look around in there for a while. I finally made it over to visit on my lunch break last Friday, and I was definitely not disappointed.


They have such a HUGE selection...sections for basically any author you can think of. The prices vary on the condition of the book, and they also have a fair amount of brand new books if that's the route you prefer to take. I could have spent half of my life perusing, and half of my bank account purchasing...but the responsible part of me was somehow able to remember that I had to go back to work and I also have a vacation coming up in which I will need money. So...I made out fairly unscathed with just four books in tow.

Let me stop rambling and get into detail about what I bought for a total of $18.48.


//The Shining by Stephen King
I've never read anything by Stephen King, but there are a couple of reasons I picked this book up. First, the movie version of this is actually one of my favorite films. Second, my Grandpa who passed away five years ago loved Stephen King. He would always encourage me to read him, and I really want to devote some attention to that request.

//Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen
This is another movie that I really love, and the book has been on my TBR for years. My co-worker saw that I had purchased this book and we talked about it for a while because it's one of her all-time favorites. I love seeing people get passionate about their love for a book. It makes me look forward to reading it even more!

//The Reader by Bernhard Schlink
This one I purchased purely out of curiosity. The story sounds compelling and it takes place in post-war Germany...which is one of my favorite time periods for books. After doing a bit of research on it, I realize that this is actually a fairly popular movie as well, so I'm looking forward to watching it after I read the book.

//The Diviners by Libba Bray
I'm only a couple of years away from my 30's, but I sure do still love some young adult literature. Libba Bray is the author of the Gemma Doyle trilogy, which is one of my fondest reads to date. The Diviners is supposed to be fantastic, and I can't wait to dive into it sometime this year.

Have you found any good book bargains lately? Maybe you've read some of the books that I've purchased? Tell me about it!
Linda @ A La Carte said...

I have a gift card to 2nd and Charles and need to go and find some books! I liked The Reader, it's odd and intriguing.

Betsy said...

I have been totally slacking on my reading for my 101 list tasks hardcore. I guess that's what I'll use our flights on our trip for haha.

Vicky Hunt said...

The Readers sounds good! What is Girl Interrupted about? I need to read some this weekend...I've been slacking!

Love You,
Mama

Kayla Whitter said...

You're a girl after my own heart! I was excited about your Ollie's post and I'm excited you have a 2nd & Charles, too. Those are some of my favorite places to buy books. I'm also a super fan of the Goodwill - especially when it comes to books.

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.