3.09.2017

Life Changing Experiences Aren't a Myth

About two and a half years ago, I was at the lowest point I have been at in my life thus far.

I was unhappy with my career path. I was struggling with dating and relationships. My anxiety was at an all-time high. I was gaining weight by the day. I had to force myself to get out of bed in the mornings, and as soon as work would end I would go right back home and get back into bed. I was really, really depressed.

During those couple of years that I was so low, I thought a lot about how I could "fix" myself, but it took me a long time to actually put a plan into action. I knew I needed a lot of change, but I thought I needed to start small. In the end...I did the exact opposite of that and made a major decision.


I decided I was going to make my life long dream of living abroad become a reality.

Around Christmas of 2014, I had made up my mind that I was going to go to Prague to teach English. There was something about this affirmation that helped me perk up a little. There was a lot to do to prepare...save money, sell most of my stuff, plan my travel, etc. My mind had something to focus on, and for the first time in a long time, I was truly looking forward to where my life was taking me.

When I arrived in Prague in July of 2015, I knew I was about to have a great adventure. What I didn't know at that point though was, how much that journey was going to help me become the best version of myself. I learned so much during my time in Europe.

I learned to understand my place in the world. I learned that there are a lot of different people in this world, and we all have struggles, both big and small. I learned that I'm capable of so much more than I expected of myself. I learned that experiences are the greatest gifts you can give yourself, and others. I learned how to love the good aspects of myself, and accept the bad ones that need work.


My life changed. In the course of that year abroad, I became the version of myself that I always thought was out of my reach. I came back home to Florida with a renewed mindset. I was determined to continue being the "new" me in all areas of my life. And...it's been going pretty well. I'm happier, healthier, and more content than I have possibly ever been. There's no doubt in my mind that I can thank my Prague experience for that.

Life changing experiences aren't a myth.

That's a thought that has been heavy on my mind as I continue to reflect. If you're in a really low place in life, sometimes it takes a drastic change or decision to snap you out of it. I'm not encouraging you to be reckless by any means, but I am encouraging you to realize that life is too strangely beautiful to accept total and complete unhappiness. Everyone has to keep fighting, to help not only themselves, but others around them.


So, today, if you're struggling, I encourage you to:

Get up.
Give yourself something to hope for.
Work tirelessly towards that hope.

You deserve to live a life that you love.
Leslie @ A Side of Chocolate said...

I love this. It is so amazing that you made such a huge life change and it affected you so positively. :)

PS. I still can't email you back after you comment :( But congrats on your weight loss - that's so awesome!

Kerry Crystal said...

I admire that you lived abroad! That is amazing and I hope my kids do the same thing one day! I love your words "Give yourself something to hope for. Work tirelessly towards that hope" Great post, thank you!
I hope you have a great day. -Crystal

Jessica Watson said...

Needed to hear this.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Well said! I've seen such a difference in you after your adventures in Prague. You seem so much more centered and happy.

Vicky Hunt said...

Reading this brought tears to my eyes...happy tears. I knew when you left that it was going to change you and for the better. As much as my Mama heart missed you, I am so very glad you had that experience. I truly feel like you found yourself while you were there. You being happy makes me happy. Love you...:)

Betsy said...

What a great story. It can be hard to get out what's going on now and see the better to come. I know I'm in that now with a big part of my life but I keep saying the best is yet to come!

Laura Darling said...

Love this post! I'm so glad you had your life-changing experience! Also, you are so BRAVE to move abroad!!!

julie @ a hopeful hood said...

What an encouragement!!! I love this. And how incredible you went to Prague to teach English!!!!!

Victoria said...

What an AMAZING story!!!! Way to push yourself and put yourself out there. This is HUGE. So many people (ehmmmm, meeee) would NEVER be able to do something like that!

PS I'm new here (I clicked over from the comment you left on my blog) and I'm LOVING your site! The design. Your fonts. The colors. Your posts. I'll be here for a while!

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.