4 Ingredient Chocolate Chip Cookies {Healthy Recipe Experiment}

Are cookies an acceptable food group yet?

I'm not kidding when I say that I crave cookies at least once a day. (I would say once an hour, but I don't want to seem completely addicted.) Chocolate chip, peanut butter, sugar...ALL OF THEM. Heck, even Oreos sound amazing half of the time.

In order to avoid giving into these constant cravings, I decided to finally make an attempt at finding a healthier alternative to satisfy my cookie tooth. So, I turned to THE source...Pinterest of course. To my surprise, there was tons of different healthy cookie recipes, but I needed one that satisfied my main two criteria.

1. They had to be simple.
2. They had to include affordable and easy to find ingredients.

After much detective work, I settled on a recipe that only called for four ingredients: dark chocolate chips, oats, bananas, and peanut butter. The original post for this recipe can be found over at My Darling Vegan. Keep reading for my experience and review!




As far as measurements go, I followed the exact recipe that I linked above:

*2 bananas
*1 1/2 cups quick oats
*1/3 cup peanut butter
*1/4 cup chocolate chips (I chose semi-sweet)

I mashed the bananas, then mixed in the oats followed by the peanut butter. The chocolate chips were the last thing that I added. Once I was all finished, the batter looked like it does in the photo above! I then dropped spoonfuls of the dough onto a pan, and baked the cookies at 350 degrees for around 15 minutes.


Pros:
They really are yummy and satisfying! The flavors all work great together, and they are fantastic when they're still warm. I ate a couple of them when I baked them on Sunday night, then I distributed the rest into ziplock bags and have been taking them with me for breakfast over the past week. (YES, cookies for breakfast! I mean, besides the chocolate chips, the other ingredients are essentially breakfast foods...right?)

Cons:
They definitely don't look like the ones in the original post. I think that problem can be attributed to me though...next time I need to use smaller spoonfuls and pay closer attention to shaping them. I found the dough a bit difficult to fully mix, but with bananas and oats and peanut butter, I think that just has to be part of the process.

I will 100% be making these again. I think they're awesome for a variety of things...breakfasts, snacks, middle of the night sweet tooths, etc. Overall, I was very pleasantly surprised with the recipe.

Have you ever attempted a similar recipe? If you have other healthy sweet recipes, please tell me about them!

5 comments

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Proud of you for finding a good healthy recipe. I love cookies for breakfast!

StephTheBookworm said...

They look good! I don't like peanut butter, but I tolerate it when the flavor of it isn't too dominant. I might try these out because I too am a cookie addict!

Lux G. said...

Oh, wow. I'm seriously craving for this now.

Krysten Quiles said...

Oooh I totally want to try these!

Kristen from Pugs & Pearls said...

Def going to try these! I love anything peanut butter and chocolate.