Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon {Restless Reviews}

It's time for another Restless Review!


Today, I"m going to share my thoughts on a book that is quite popular at the moment...Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon. The movie adaptation of this book is actually coming out on May 19th. It looks really good, and when movies are based on books I always like to try to read the book beforehand. Also, how gorgeous is this cover?


"You're not living if you're not regretting."

In a nutshell...
Everything, Everything is about an 18-year-old girl named Maddy who has never left her home because she has a disease called SCID (severe combined immunodeficiency), which essentially means that she is allergic to everything. She has learned to be content with her lifestyle, but that all begins to change when a boy named Olly moves in next door. This book is all about learning to give life a chance. 

Bad news first:
This plot isn't the most believable. To be fair though, that's a concept that you can grasp simply by reading the back of the book. There is also a heavy dose of "insta-love," meaning that feelings develop very quickly between the characters. I do think that it makes sense for this story though, mainly because Maddy's character is so innocent and void of life experience. Lastly, I personally found the twist towards the end a bit easy to predict...I toyed with the thought a few chapters in and sure enough, I was right!

Now for the good:
This book was like candy. It was the perfect mix of fun and depth, and I flew through it. The characters are sweet and likable and easy to relate to. The characters are also racially diverse, which is so important! Yoon has a knack for balancing humor and lightheartedness with deeper questions and issues. The format of the book is the icing on the cake..it's full of doodles and emails and lists that make the reading process even more enjoyable. 

So...yay or nay?
Yes, for sure. It's an easy, enjoyable read. I picked it up because I was in need of something "lighter," and it certainly did the trick. Also, don't avoid it because you think it's too "young" for you. I"m 10 years older than the characters, and still thoroughly loved it. 

Have you read Everything, Everything? Will you be going to see the movie? Let me know what you think! 

3 comments

Kristen from Pugs & Pearls said...

I had heard good reviews of this book months ago, but wasn't really interested until I saw the movie preview! Definitely going to pick this one up.

StephTheBookworm said...

I've been hearing so many good things about this! My BFF JUST told me on Monday that she read it in two days. I definitely need to read it soon. I basically won't see a movie until I've read the book. ;)

Happy weekend!

Myra said...

Oh I'm so glad to come across your review! I just saw the movie trailer for this and it looked so good. I need to add this to my list asap! Are you on Goodreads? xo