4.04.2017

Loving Yourself is Hard (But We're in This Together)

Let me start by saying that I feel like this is probably going to be a much more emotional post than I originally intended it to be. I haven't even began to write anything on the subject and I'm already feeling "wordy." The point of having a voice though, is sometimes using it to talk about the tough stuff, right?

I, like a lot of others out there, go through phases where I tend to dwell on things that make me sad or angry more than usual. This usually occurs because I read an article or overhear a conversation that just royally rubs me the wrong way. One topic that always does this to me is body image/positivity.

"And if I asked you to name all the things that you love, how long would it take for you to name yourself?"


The idea of being body positive and loving yourself has turned into a fantastic movement over the past few years. So many women (and men!) out there are striving to teach people that it's okay to love yourself exactly the way that you are; that every body is beautiful and full of purpose; that you should be happy and proud of your body, because there is no one definition of "right."

These types of messages are SO IMPORTANT for EVERYONE to hear...because all of us, regardless of shape, size, age, race, etc., have felt completely useless and torn down at some point in our lives. I would even dare to say that a vast majority of us still struggle with negative self-thoughts daily...so we NEED advocates that are fighting to normalize body positivity to remind us that we are so much more than we think we are.

Sometimes I just feel like society is out to ruin every good and pure thing in life. I follow a lot of body positive accounts on Instagram and YouTube. (A couple of my favorites are Healthy is the New Skinny and Learning to Be Fearless.) They are full of amazing messages, and for the most part, they are surrounded by a really wonderful community of like-minded people. But then, every now and then, you will come across some absolutely atrocious conversation in the comments that was set off by some imbecile who felt the need to type out some ignorant, negative comment.

And that one comment has the power to offset the positive feelings you just had and send you tumbling back to all of the times you ever felt awful about yourself. One second it's a normal, happy day, and the next second you are reliving those middle school bus rides where a certain classmate would always sit in the seat in front of you just to tell you how fat and ugly he thought you were. Or beating yourself up for every pair of jeans you ever tried on that didn't fit. Or beating yourself up for the trillionth time because you sometimes want to pull every hair out of your head, and at one point in your life you were pretty successful at almost doing that.

Loving yourself is hard, and we live in a world that is constantly trying to make it more difficult than it already is. Slade and I had a long conversation about this over the weekend. It's difficult to 100% commit to appreciating yourself when your brain constantly feels the need to make you feel like you will always be the person you were at your lowest point. Overcoming that thought pattern seems almost impossible at times.

All of that being said though, I believe it's so important to keep going. We have to keep reminding people that THEY are wonderful. We have to keep reminding ourselves that WE are wonderful. Body positivity and self-love become more and more important every single day. We're all in this together, and we really need to remember that.

Ah...emotional word vomit. I think I'm going to cut things off here. Please feel free to share your thoughts below! What are some things you do to stay positive and self-confident?
Leslie @ A Side of Chocolate said...

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on this topic. It truly is SO hard to love yourself sometimes, but you're right. We just have to keep pushing on.

StephTheBookworm said...

Totally agree! I am always torn between loving myself for who I am and trying to get back in shape. I love the body positivity movement, but hate when you see those nasty hurtful comments.

Kristen from Pugs & Pearls said...

Such an interesting question! I definitely wouldn't name myself in the list of things I love. It's just plain wrong that that doesn't come naturally.

Vicky Hunt said...

I love that you are not afraid to broach any topic...you are brave my beautiful daughter. You make me proud! Love you...Mama

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.