Weekend Recap {4/14-4/16}

Since yesterday was Easter and Slade is still out of town, Bell and I spent the weekend with my parents. They only live about an hour away from us, so it's always nice to be able to zip over there when we want to. I'm very fortunate in that aspect!


Staying with my parents is always a nice little escape because they live in a very rural area and are surrounded by other family. On Saturday we had a full day of nothing. My mom made us lunch and I baked us some cookies. A little while after that my mom and Bell and I walked down to my grandparent's house where they and my aunt were working on the garden. Bell loved all of the dirt and new smells. We wrapped up the night with dinner at a local restaurant with my aunt and a couple of my cousins, followed by us all hanging out and working on stuff for Easter.

Sunday morning came with an early wake-up call for Easter food prep. I helped my mom make scalloped potatoes and cookie dough truffles (HOLY YUM), and I attempted to make a black bean and avocado dip. I say attempted because half of the avocados I had just bought THE DAY BEFORE were bad. I still used the good ones, but the whole dish went bad by the time dinner rolled around, even though the recipe called for salsa verde and promised that the acidity in the salsa would keep the avocados from turning brown. That was a lie..because I took the lid off of the bowl and it was as brown as brown gets. It was a super waste of time and money, but I'll get over it, ha ha.


Once the food was finally done, we headed down to my uncle's house on the river for Easter #1 with my dad's side of the family. Bell was not on her best behavior at this event...I think there were just too many people for her liking. However, we were able to get in a nice walk along the water, see some family, and eat some good southern food.

Easter event #2 was spent with my mom's side of the family at my aunt's house. We played Easter trivia (Jeopardy style), had Easter egg hunts for both the kids and adults, and of course, ate some more food. (Though, not a lot because I was still stuffed from the first get together.)

Bell and I headed back home soon after, as Monday had to be prepared for and we were both also pretty tired. Bell was absolutely exhausted from her big weekend, and she spent all of Sunday evening napping while I wrote blog posts and did some reading. (Side thought: Is it even possible to get a picture where your dog is looking at the camera?)


Weekends like this one are always a wonderful reminder of how amazing my family is. I'm thankful for their love and warmth, and I feel more and more appreciative of tradition as each year passes. It has been a most awesome constant in my life.

How was your weekend?

6 comments

Linda @ A La Carte said...

It is wonderful to be close to your family. I too had a special weekend with family. Little Scout turned 2 so Easter was a really special day. Church, cooking and a family dinner. Easter baskets and birthday gifts. Cake and ice cream. Exhausted last night I'm full of joyous memories.

StephTheBookworm said...

Sounds like a nice and relaxing weekend. And nope... can't get a decent picture of dogs - ha! My dog always looks away. They are too easily distracted!

Cookie dough truffles... yum!

Rebecca Bourgeault said...

that sounds like such a wonderful weekend and time well spent! Also cookie dough truffles - sounds amazing!

Kerry Crystal said...

You had a busy weekend! I can't get my dog to look at the camera either! We went to the Renaissance Festival for Easter since family is out of town. The remainder of the weekend I got some sewing done and hung out with the kids. Have a great week! - Crystal

Robin said...

Easter at your aunt's house sounds like a lot of fun! Adult Easter egg hunts should be more popular. Do you have your mom's recipe for the cookie dough truffles?

Lisa @ Naptime Chai said...

Cookie dough truffles?! WOW. It sounds like you had a wonderful holiday with family! -- Lisa | Naptime Chai