5.15.2017

A Short Stay in Birmingham, AL

During our vacation/road trip, Slade and I decided to spend a bit of time in Alabama...specifically, Birmingham. We wanted to find some good BBQ, and get a feel for the city. We were there for less than 24 hours, but that was enough time to enjoy ourselves before getting back on the road. Here's a little peek into our time there.

Also, quick side note: did anyone else listen to the podcast, S-Town? If you haven't...you should! It's so unique and interesting. Anyway, I ask because the setting for this podcast is a little Alabama town called Woodstock. It's only about 35 minutes from Birmingham, so Slade and I went and took a nosey drive around. It truly is a teensy weensy town, and it was really cool to see some of the places that are mentioned in the podcast.

Now, back to Birmingham! The first thing when did upon arrival was locate something to eat. Slade recommended that we try Saw's Soul Kitchen. It was actually recently named one of the best BBQ restaurants in America, so it didn't take much convincing for me to want to go as well. Slade also smokes and grills pretty regularly, so he knows his BBQ and I trust his opinion.


It was a difficult decision, but we both chose to go for the pulled pork sandwich. I got a side of fries and Slade went with the cheese grits. The sandwiches came with traditional red sauce, but we got a side of the white sauce to try as well. I dipped my fries in it, and actually liked it better than the red sauce!


As expected, the sweet tea was fantastic and the sandwich was too. It all hit the spot! Slade also really enjoyed the food, but he said he wishes he had chosen something a little more "challenging," such as ribs. If we're ever in the area again, I'm sure we'll be back!

By the time we had wrapped up our meal, it was pretty late in the afternoon and the weather was not too great. We went and checked into the hotel, then spent a little while in the indoor pool/hot tub before heading back downtown. Something I have been wanting to do for a while is check out the Birmingham color tunnel.


The city placed LED lights of all colors throughout the underpass, and they're on a timer to change from color to color and eventually to rainbow. The tunnel is a really nice touch to the city. It's so fun to walk through and watch the colors alternate around you.



After walking around for a bit, we went for drinks and a late dinner at Pies and Pints. It's a pizza and beer joint, which automatically makes it right up our alley. (Sorry for the dark photos here...the lighting was not photo friendly. How rude, right?)


They had a really extensive beer menu, so Slade was in heaven. I'm not much for beer, but I do like cider and they had a good choice of that as well. Slade chose a type of nitro stout (beer language...I have no idea), and I went with a pineapple cider. I wish I could find ciders like this more often!


For a starter, we gave the Pizza Skins a try. This was a twist of potato skins. Essentially, it was a pizza crust, with mashed potatos, cheese, bacon, sour cream, and chives on top. It was a bit odd, but I didn't hate it.


Now, the pizza we chose, was on FIRE. It was the Steak and Mushroom, which was topped with marinated steak, caramelized onions, mushrooms, gorgonzola cheese, and a type of horseradish sauce. It was such an excellent combinations of toppings. Overall, I loved the cider and the pizza and thought Pies and Pints was solid. Slade thought the pizza was really good, but the potato skin thing should stick to being a potato. He liked it, but thought it was his least favorite food choice from our vacation picks.


I wish we had had a bit more time and some better weather so we could experience more of Birmingham. I'm sure we will go back again someday! I did visit a really awesome coffee shop on the way out of town the next morning, but I'm planning to talk about that at another time.

Have you ever visited Birmingham? Want to see more food and fun from our vacation? Click here to read about our eating exploits in Nashville, Tennessee!
Linda @ A La Carte said...

Sounds like you had fun. The lighted tunnel is very cool!

julie @ a hopeful hood said...

What a great stop-over!! Sometimes having that time crunch really motivates you to pack in a lot of fun stuff :)

StephTheBookworm said...

What a fun little stop! I love Southern food... yum. That tunnel thing is SO COOL!

Robin said...

Oooooh, the pizza looks good. And those pizza skins. I have never been to Alabama, but I hear that it's a nice, laid-back state.

Vicky Hunt said...

Once again....I'm hungry! :)

Kerry Crystal said...

Oh, the pizza skins look so good! I love that you went to the tunnel! I want to do that one day. It sounds like you guys had a fun trip!! -Crystal

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.