5.22.2017

Burgess Falls State Park: Putnam County, TN

While on the Tennessee portion of our vacation, Slade and I decided that one of our goals was to see a waterfall. Since we were staying in Nashville, we did some research and were pretty surprised at the large number of waterfall options in the surrounding area. We ultimately decided on Burgess Falls State Park, which was located just over an hour east of Nashville. We woke up early, put on some hiking approved clothes, had a good breakfast, and set out to chase a waterfall.


State parks are always a great option when on vacation. They are typically free (like Burgess Falls!) and there are usually a variety of activities to choose from...hiking, swimming, picnicking, etc. Nature parks are also a reminder of the importance of the environment and the outdoors. I know that's something I often forget to think about when I'm busy in my daily life, and there is something really peaceful and eye-opening about getting in touch with more "untouched" parts of the world.


We arrived at the park fairly early in the morning and it wasn't crowded at all. The weather was pretty chilly (at least chilly compared to the Florida weather we're accustomed to), but it warmed up nicely in the hour or so we were there. There are two (possibly three, I can't remember exactly) trails to choose from. The one we took was about a 20-minute hike to the falls.


Fun fact about that shirt...I was not a fan. I bought it while on the trip because it was warm and cheap, but all I could think of the entire time I was wearing it was the phenomena of #blessed. Anyway, arriving at the waterfall is a memory that I will never forget. It is the first large waterfall I have ever seen, and it was almost sensory overload. The sight, the sound, the smells, and even the feeling in the air...it was all a perfect combination for a place that I could have spent all day at.


There is usually another trail that actually takes you down to the bottom of the falls, but it was unfortunately closed the day we were there. I was a little bummed about that, because I'm sure it would have been amazing! When we were at the overlook, all I could think about was the scene in the Disney version of Pocahontas where she dives off of the waterfall and how unrealistic that actually was. Not saying I'm a waterfall expert now or anything, but there were a LOT of rocks at the bottom of that thing. (Oh the places your mind can take you.)


When we arrived to the car after our hike back, I reflected on how the adventure had been a perfect start to our day. Experiences like Burgess Falls also make me extra grateful that the U.S. has such a wide variety of sights and landscapes to explore. I want to see as much of it as possible in my lifetime!

What is the most surreal natural sight you have ever experienced?

Brianne said...

This is so pretty! My friends & I are talking about doing a lot of hiking this summer. I actually just made a map of the 10 places we wanted to check out.

Kristen from Pugs & Pearls said...

I LOVE State Parks. I have a goal of going to every single one in Florida. It's especially rewarding when you find a waterfall at the end! This place looks gorgeous.

StephTheBookworm said...

So pretty! Love these pictures. And LOL #blessed!

I'm lucky enough to live only about an hour away from Niagara Falls (in NY) and it takes my breath away every time I go. Amazing.

Lisa @ Naptime Chai said...

I'm always a fan of chasing waterfalls! (And now I have the TLC song stuck in my head...) -- Lisa | Naptime Chai

Lux G. said...

This is really beautiful. I think it's been 2 years since my last hike. I miss it.

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.