5.01.2017

My First Step Into a Foreign Country {Favorite Travel Memories}

Slade and I are on vacation! Don't worry, I'm not blogging on the trip...these posts are pre-scheduled. In the spirit of traveling, I have written about some of my favorite travel memories...not so much the details, but more so the feelings that I had during the experiences. Hope you enjoy, and have a wonderful week! 

You may or may not already know this, but I lived in Prague for a year. More on that experience can be found here, but that actually isn't what I'm going to talk about today. Today is devoted to a different visit to a different city. More than that, it's devoted to my first visit to my first foreign city.


While en route to Prague, I had a 12-hour layover in London. At that time, my childhood friend Jessica and her husband were both stationed near London with the Air Force. They drove to the city to meet up with me and show me around. I remember being so excited. Who hasn't always dreamed of visiting London at some point in their life?

Upon my arrival, we took the Tube from Heathrow airport into the center. I remember getting off at our stop and walking with the crowd towards the nearest exit. I'll never forget hurrying up a couple of flights of stairs, turning a corner, and suddenly seeing Big Ben towering over me. This sounds dramatic, but it honestly took my breath away for a moment. At that time, I had been dreaming of European travel for the majority of my life, and that was the point that I realized my dream was finally coming true.

Jessica and her husband gave me the true tourist tour that day, and I loved every second of it. I ate fish and chips in a pub. I took pictures of Big Ben and the London Eye and red phone booths. I walked and explored and basked in the glory of being surrounded by beautiful English accents.

Nothing can quite prepare you for the feeling that comes along with being in a new country for the first time...even an English speaking one. It's enthralling and stressful and exciting and overwhelming all at the same time. There are different vibes and different smells, different people and different sights. Once you have that first taste of "newness," there's no turning back. Every destination on the planet is suddenly added to your bucket list.

In a way, I have London to thank for all of the beautiful experiences I had over that year in Europe. It welcomed me with open arms, and made me more than ready for the adventures that were to come. I have visited the city a couple of times since then, but it's always that first trip that stands out to me.

Have you visited London? What is the first foreign country to steal a piece of your heart?
Linda @ A La Carte said...

I've never been to London, but my trip to Paris was a dream come true! I loved it so much.

Kristen from Pugs & Pearls said...

London is definitely on my to-do list! I would be enthralled with the accents!!

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.