5.16.2017

Never-Ending Mysteries of Adulthood


I'm going to be 28 in a few months. 30 is just over two short years away, which is still a pretty unbelievable thought to me. In my mind, 30 has always been the "magic number of all-knowingness." It has just always seemed like that age that most people tend to be living a pretty smooth-flowing life; the age of having it all figured out.

Having experienced close to 10 years of adulthood, I'm finally accepting that there is no such thing as a turning point in adult life. I'm never going to know everything, and all aspects of my life are never going to co-exist in a synchronized fashion. There are, and will always be, a pretty hefty amount of mysteries out there. Mysteries such as...

Is there such a thing as a reliable laundry schedule?

Is it actually possible to love yourself for more than a day or two at a time?

Why do some people spend more time judging the lives and decisions of others than living their own lives?

Is accepting the fact that summer vacations are over forever even fathomable?

Is it better to speak your mind, or hold your tongue to avoid conflict?

Do bills just continue to multiply with age?

How does one make new friends as an adult when they are also an introvert?

That last question is the main one I've been pondering lately. I'm in such a weird place friendship wise. I've never been the type to have a million friends to choose from, and that has never been a problem until I've found myself distanced from the handful of good friends that I do have. The live across the country, or an hour or two away, or just have completely different schedules than I do.

Slade is my best friend, and I'm fortunate that I get to see him every day and he more than provides all of the most important gifts of friendship. But...sometimes I just need a good girlfriend to chat with or grab a drink with. And...reaching out to people I know through work or blogging is always a little scary, because at this stage in adulthood, most people are pretty well set in their lives and the people in them.

Emotional word vomit...it's one of my finer talents.

What are some of the mysteries of adulthood that you dwell on? What is your opinion on making new friends as an adult?
Robin said...

I used to feel the same way, thinking that people in their 30s finally understand everything. I am 29 now and I realize that it's not true. It helps me to remember that I am not *supposed* to have all the answers. Is anyone? And I agree about making friends as an adult. I meet people at work, but always makes me uncomfortable because co-workers have betrayed me before.

Lottiefla said...

Friends are tougher as you get older, I think. I agree with Robin, work friends haven't been reliable. I can count true friends on one hand -- and most of them are actually cousins or ex-family that I still claim. Try reaching out to an old friend close to home, maybe someone you lost touch with when you went to Prague. Chances are they will be needing a good girl friend too.

Erini CS said...

I think one of the "joys" of 30s is settling in to realizing what matters and what doesn't. Or at least appearing to know these things. Some stuff is just not worth the stress or your time, and 30s seems to be the magical time when you realize all that. I won't say all drama goes away, but it is sort of freeing to have some of these little things not matter any more.

StephTheBookworm said...

I can definitely relate and I totally feel your pain of trying to make friends as an introvert! I have a couple of really good friends who I still see regularly, but that's about it. I think that's why I love blogging so much... I've developed some true friendships (even if they are online!).

lil desiqua said...

I think bills decrease (in number, not necessarily amount) with age, or at least mine do because I'm still paying off student loans! I'm not good at holding my tongue. I also struggle with the last one. A lot of my close friends have either moved away or started families so I don't get to see/talk to them as often, and it feels like we're drifting because of life choices. I hear there are apps for friend finding but I haven't tried them yet.

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.