6.07.2017

5 Reasons YOU Should Start a Blog

First of all, I'm not writing this post because I feel like I'm some sort of pro blogger. I'm not. I've been blogging for a long time, but I'm not professional by any means.

(Quick off-topic thought...whenever I begin a paragraph with "first of all," "to begin with," etc...I automatically go back in time to 4th grade when we were learning how to write standard five paragraph essays. Then the anxiety of preparing for the Florida Writes test consumes me, even though I'm almost 28-years-old.)

 Back to the topic at hand...recently, I've had a few friends ask me about starting a blog. They have asked what platform I use, how I design my site, how I create post topics, and more. Then, some of these friends have went on to tell me that they are really interested in blogging, but they don't feel like they have enough to say, or they don't feel like they're creative enough to keep it going.

If there is one thing I have learned about blogging, it's this...anyone can do it. If you want to blog, there is no reason to talk yourself out of it. Blogging is for all levels of writers, and advocates of all topics. There is no limit to what you can discuss. You don't have to fit into a certain "mold."

So, if you're interested in starting a blog, here are five reasons that you SHOULD. (Spoiler alert: these are not going to help you if you're interested in starting a blog strictly for monetary means...these are more for those who want to write and create content for the art of enjoyment.)


1. You need an outlet. 
If you consider yourself the least bit creative, you probably know what it feels like to have creative energy. You probably also know that this creative energy can feel a bit overwhelming if you don't have somewhere to channel it. A blog can be a perfect place to pour that energy into. Blogging is enjoyable, and the added perk is that you get to see your creativity manifest physically. Whether you are writing or designing your site or taking photos for your posts...you're going to be proud of the end result.

2. You enjoy documenting your life. 
I believe that memories are best stored in the form of words. Think about it...after you have had something memorable happen in your life, whether it be travel, or a big milestone, or a major change...writing it down while it's still fresh in your mind can ensure that you have every little detail accounted for. Let me tell you a secret. Sometimes, I stalk my own blog. I sit down and read through my five years of posts and look at the photos and reminisce. A blog is the perfect place to keep these memories.

3. You want to meet new people. 
It's no secret that the internet can introduce us to people we would have otherwise never met. Blogging is an amplified way of meeting new friends. Through blogging, it's easy to meet people who share your interests, but it's also an encouragement to get to know people who are completely different than you. I have met a lot of wonderful human beings through blogging, and have even had the opportunity to meet a couple of them in person.

4. You want to be constantly inspired. 
Your blog can be the ultimate "you" space. It can be a place to share your soul, to talk about your goals and hopes and dreams. It can be a place to share your thoughts and hobbies and pictures. Doing this regularly can help you strengthen your talents, and appreciate yourself. Reading other blogs can also keep you in a positive, inspired state of mind.

5. You want to share your voice. 
We all have things we want to say. We all have topics we want to discuss. Everyone's voice deserves to be heard. Whether you have five readers, or five thousand readers, you're always going to find someone who will appreciate what you are writing.

If you don't have a blog, have you ever considered starting one? If you currently blog, what made you decide to create one? What would you tell someone who is considering a new adventure in blogging?
Kristen from Pugs & Pearls said...

I started blogging to share things that brought me value. I knew there were other people out there who would like to get a new recipe or learn a new way to organize. Or had similar style to me.
Definitely don't start a blog to make money! You'll never be able to stick with it.

Torrie said...

I stalk my own blog all the time, especially if I'm procrastinating something I really don't want to do, ha ha. Since I stopped keeping a journal and have long since given up the idea of doing a formal scrapbook, my blog is basically it when it comes to The Record of My Life. And even if no one else reads it, it's worth it to me to keep it up for that reason alone!

I also really liked the rest of this list. I'd never really thought about my blog being my creative outlet before, but it really is.

StephTheBookworm said...

Definitely agree with all of these reasons. I love reading my old posts too... helps me remember things!

I LOVE when friends ask me about starting a blog. I go on... and on... and on. LOL. One of my favorite topics to discuss.

Audrey Louise said...

These are all the reasons I blog :) It started as an outlet, but I've made SO MANY FRIENDS across blog-land!

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.