6.02.2017

A Short Stay in Columbus, GA: Riverwalk and The Black Cow

During last month's road trip, Slade and I decided to spend our final night in Columbus, Georgia. We both knew that the city is home to an Army base, but besides that, it was a bit of a mystery to us. However, a quick Google and Pinterest search convinced us that it would be a quaint place to spend a few hours.


We arrived in downtown Columbus late in the afternoon, and we were both starving so a good linner (late lunch/early dinner) was first on the list of to-do's. We chose to check out The Black Cow, which offered a mix of seafood dishes and good ol' Southern food. I was a terrible blogger and only took one photo while we were there, but the environment was cozy and the entire staff was really friendly.

For food, Slade ordered a burger and I ordered the chicken and grits. I've eaten my fair share of shrimp and grits, but chicken and grits was a new venture for me. It was delicious...my favorite food of the trip! It consisted of a fried grit cake, covered in a creamy cajun sauce that was full of sausage and chicken. I fully enjoyed it.


We only had a couple of hours of daylight left after we were finished eating, and the weather was starting to look a little questionable, so we decided to check out what we were most interested in...which was the Chattahoochee Riverwalk. The Riverwalk is a 15-mile park/walking trail that goes along the Chattahoochee River.


The river isn't the only sight to see along the path. There are also some pretty iron bridges, and several different little monuments along the way. I think the Riverwalk is a really great representation of Columbus and its history. We wandered along about a mile of the stretch, and it was such a fun way to get a feel for the city and work off some of the lunch we had just eaten.







Even though we weren't able to do much in our couple of hours there, Columbus was still a pleasant surprise for me. It's a great example of a quaint, Southern city. I hope to explore more of it one day!

Have you ever been pleasantly surprised by a destination you have traveled to in the past?
Linda @ A La Carte said...

I love stopping at new places and walking around. I am often surprised by how nice little towns can be!

Kristen from Pugs & Pearls said...

I love when cities have good places to walk!

StephTheBookworm said...

Oooh, I love quaint and Southern! I'd love to go there. Mmm, chicken and grits! Can't get grits here at many places but I love them.

Laura Darling said...

What a cute little town!

Ellen Ross | Ask Away said...

Oh wow its so beautiful and that food looks delish!
XO Ellen from Ask Away
www.askawayblog.com

Vicky Hunt said...

Columbus does indeed look like a quaint little southern town. Looks like a place I would love to stroll around and explore!

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.