6.21.2017

Getting Hired with VIPKID

Last week, I mentioned that I was going through the hiring process for an online ESL teaching job. I'm now really excited to say that I was offered the position! I'll be working as an independent contractor for VIPKID, which is a company located in Beijing, China. I'll have the flexibility of building a schedule that will work around my full-time job and other obligations, the pay is nothing to complain about, and best of all, I'll get help young Chinese students learn another language.

VIPKID is actually in the middle of a pretty large hiring spree at the moment, so I thought I would share a bit about the job and the hiring process for anyone who is interested in this type of work. Teaching English as a foreign language is such a rewarding opportunity. I earned my TEFL certification in Prague, taught there for a year, and I've been looking into somehow getting back into teaching ESL since I returned home a year ago.


Here are some questions I would ask anyone who is interested in teaching ESL. More specifically, since VIPKID is geared towards teaching children ages 5-11, here are some questions I would ask anyone interested in teaching ESL to young learners:

1. Are you encouraging, upbeat, and energetic?
2. Are you okay with being silly?
3. Do you have a passion for seeing students learn and improve?
4. Do you have a good grasp of English spelling, pronunciation, and grammar?

If you answered yes to all of these, VIPKID may be a good fit for you! So, what else do you need in order to apply?

*At least 7.5 hours of availability each week. 
*A willingness to work strange hours...peak times are super early morning (5am-9am EST, and even earlier for other time zones, or there is also the opportunity to work overnight hours on Friday and Saturday.)
*A Bachelor's degree in any subject. 
*A native North American/Canadian accent. 
*Experience working with children. (This doesn't necessarily have to be teaching experience...babysitting or camp counseling or anything like that is great as well!)
*A headset with a microphone, a webcam, and a well-lit, appropriately decorated teaching space. Props, flash cards, etc. are also encouraged! (You don't absolutely have to have all of this for the interview...but if you are hired these are must haves!)
*Bonus: A TEFL or TESOL certification. (Not required, but helpful if you happen to have one!)

Still feeling like this could be for you? Great! The first thing you'll need to do is fill out an application. If you use my referral link to apply, I will be more than happy to answer any questions you have and provide support to you during the hiring process. Well, I'll be more than happy to do that anyway...but I would really appreciate if you would use the referral link. :)

If your application is accepted, you will have the opportunity to choose an interview date and time. During the interview, you will have a basic question and answer session with a VIPKID representative in Beijing, and you will also teach a demo lesson to that same representative, who will pretend to be a young child. (Sounds strange, I know. But...it works!)

If you pass your interview and demo lesson, you'll have to review the VIPKID protocols and course content, then pass a short quiz. After that quiz has been passed, you'll go on to teach a mock lesson with a mentor teacher. Within a day or two after the mock lesson, you'll get an email letting you know if you have been offered the job or not. The final step will be uploading all necessary documents (degree, certification, ID, etc) and then creating your teaching profile and opening your availability.

Trust me, I know it sounds like a lot. That's because it is, but it's totally doable and completely worth it if you really want the job. I'm planning to do some more in-depth posts on the interview and mock lesson portions, but for now, please let me know if you need further clarification on anything!

I'm also excited to share my new home office and classroom space with you very soon! I've had a lot of fun preparing for this. I can't wait to see where this new endeavor takes me!

Happy Wednesday, and Happy Teaching!
Linda @ A La Carte said...

Wonderful news! I know you enjoyed teaching in Prague and this will be a great experience also I'm sure!

StephTheBookworm said...

This sounds so cool! I think you're going to have so much fun with it! I'd love to do this in the future, but am so busy with Caleb at the moment. I will definitely keep it in mind though. Can't wait to hear more!

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.