6.01.2017

Keep Moving

When I was a kid, my grandparents would go out west every year or so to visit our family that lives in that part of the country. Upon their return home, my brother and my parents and I, as well as my aunt and all of my cousins would go over to their house to welcome them home from their trip. During this time, my Granny and Grandpa would also distribute the little souvenirs they brought home for all of the kids. I remember always being excited about this. At that age, Utah and Arizona seemed worlds away, so getting to hear about their trip and receiving a gift from somewhere I had (and still have) never been was pretty mind-blowing to me.

One year, my gift was a ring that had been purchased from one of the Native American reservations. It was turquoise and maroon with little gold symbols around the band, and I immediately loved it. The only bad thing about the ring, is it was too big for all of my fingers. Except...for my thumb. That is how, at 10-years-old, I began wearing a thumb ring.

That thumb ring eventually became "my thing." It was a constant for me...I didn't go a day without wearing it. It eventually rusted and broke, and my parents bought me another ring to replace it. The second ring was a gold band that had the word "love" written out in cursive. It went through my middle school years with me, and when I was in 8th grade I lost it in a swimming pool at Girl Scout camp. I was heartbroken over losing it...some tears were even shed. Not long after that, my brother and my mom surprised me with a third ring that my brother had picked out...it was a simple gold band.

The gold band went with me through high school, college, and beyond. It actually amazes me how long I wore it. Reflecting on it now, wearing a thumb ring became so much more to me than just a "signature look." It became a constant in my life; a sense of security; something to fidget with when I was feeling anxious or nervous. Within the past year or so, I stopped wearing it as much because it has been fitting really loose since my weight loss. I was afraid of it slipping off and never returning.

Over the past couple of months, I have been keeping an eye out for a replacement thumb ring. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on it, but I also didn't want to buy the first cheap ring that I saw either. I just figured I would know it was the right one when I saw it. And...I finally found one! At Charming Charlie's for $5, nonetheless.


A couple of years ago, I purchased two compass necklaces; one for my friend Elena, and one for myself. We were both at a place in life where we were getting ready to make some big decisions, and I thought the necklaces would be a nice reminder to keep moving forward. My new ring is very similar to that necklace that I wore until it broke. It will be a reminder to continue moving, to fight complacency.

Keep moving. Those are two simple words that hold so many meanings...important meanings that I need to think about on a daily basis. Important meanings that we could all reflect on every day.

Keep moving...physically. Take care of your body. Exercise it, push it, let it accomplish what it is capable of.

Keep moving...to new places. Explore near and far. Travel. See different places and meet different people. Appreciate the variety that the world has to offer.

Keep moving...towards your goals. If you have had a dream to do something since you were a child, you're most likely meant to accomplishment that goal. Work for it. Fight for it. Don't be lazy in the pursuit.

Keep moving...mentally. Learn new things. Go back to school if you want to. Study a new language. There is no limit to the knowledge that your brain can hold. Take advantage of that.

Keep moving...towards what is right. Stand up for what you believe. Be a good person. Love others. Appreciate everyone. Be supportive of your fellow human beings.

Just keep moving.

What is something that serves as a reminder to keep moving forward for you? Do you have piece of jewelry or something similar that you rely on for daily encouragement?
Kristen from Pugs & Pearls said...

Nice! I loved it when my parents would bring back presents for us after they had gone on a trip! They still do, which I think is so cute! It's awesome that you made it your signature, and a meaningful one at that.

Melissa Cruz said...

My parents thought me the importance of traveling and learning new cultures. So both of them are inspiration for me to keep moving. Not only physically but also mentally. So for me, they are my reminder that I have to keep moving and improving.

xx, Melissa
https://elephantontheroad.com

StephTheBookworm said...

Love these lessons and love that those special pieces of jewelry push you to reach your goals and "keep moving."

Vicky Hunt said...

Love this so much! I had forgotten about your original thumb ring. Sweet memories! Love you and look forward to seeing you tomorrow. Mama

Laura Darling said...

I love the story and meaning behind your first ring! And the inspiration behind the second is amazing. I might need to get one for myself!

Torrie said...

Beautifully written! And I love that you have such a tangible reminder of this mantra in your life...what a great story :) Thanks for sharing.

Kerry Crystal said...

I meant to comment on this last week when I first read it early one morning. I love your writing and this post was a good reminder to me that even little steps are still steps in the right direction. Love it! - Crystal

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.